The EFECS co-located workshop “ECSEL Pilot lines success stories and impact” was successfully organised by STMicroelectronics in cooperation with its partners CEA- LETI, TU Darmstadt, SOITEC, Global Foundries, LYNRED, Robert Bosch GmbH on Tuesday November 19th at Helsinki.
It provided a unique opportunity to share with EFECS participants the results of these ECSEL pilot lines and a common vision defined by 3 key attributes: Scale, Persistence and Excellence.
- Scale, by mobilizing large communities with a mix of companies and public research organizations and reinforcing partnerships. They had the critical mass to work along the technology/supply chain -From materials to product- and along the value chain to accelerate the co-innovation and market adoption and strengthen demand in Europe
- Persistence and continuity, as these projects belong to a pipeline of ambitious projects around technologies such as FDSOI, RFSOI and memories for MCUs.
- These projects provided Excellence as the different examples of success stories can testify (link to presentations)
The presented projects were:
- PANACHE: Developed an embedded flash technology platform dedicated to the design of innovative microcontrollers and their manufacturing.
- REFERENCE: Developed innovative RF-SOI substrates & technologies (including move to 300mm) enabling the realization of integrated front-end modules, and system level demonstrators for cellular, aeronautics, paving the way to 5G.
- POLIS: Developed differentiating technologies enabling the prototyping of a large range of innovative sensors and breakthrough micro-displays such as: Low-cost Infrared thermal sensors for consumer markets, high luminance low power micro-displays for augmented reality applications, gestures recognition sensors and depth-map camera based on Time-of-Flight, etc.
- Lab4MEMS II: Developed innovative technologies on advanced Micro-Opto-Electro-Mechanical Systems. This Pilot line realized a variety of devices including optical switch, array of micro-mirrors, optical cross-connect, lasers and micro lens amongst others.
- WAYTOGOFAST : Developed the competitiveness of FDSOI by offering higher performance node architectures in 22FDX and 28FDSOI and their substrate manufacturing.
Programme of the event:
|10.00||Introduction Chairman - Dominique Thomas, STMicroelectronics|
|Academics and RTOs|
|10.10||ECSEL Pilot lines impact and Scientific dissemination - Christophe Wyon, CEA LETI|
|10.25||PANACHE results and scientific dissemination- Prof. Dr. Lambert Alff - Technische Universität Darmstadt|
|10.40||REFERENCE innovative RF-SOI substrates & technologies, impact and exploitation - François Brunier, SOITEC|
|10.55||WAYTOGOFAST impact and exploitation- Peter Javorka, GLOBALFOUNDRIES|
|11.10||POLIS project impact and exploitation Imaging Sensors, Patrick Abraham, LYNRED|
|11.25||PANACHE- Application of advanced eFlash for automated, connected and electrified driving - Mathias Illing, Robert Bosch GmbH|
|11.40||PANACHE & Labs4Mems-II - Microcontrollers and mems portfolio development, Roberto Zafalon, STMicroelectronics|
|11.55||Conclusion, Yves Gigase, ECSEL JU|
- PANACHE-TU Darmstadt V3
- REFERENCE Soitec
- Globalfoundries Peter Javorka
- POLIS Lynred
- Panache RBosch
- ECSEL JU - Yves Gigase