The governance bodies of the ECSEL Joint Undertaking are:
- the Governing Board that has overall responsibility for the strategic orientation and the operations of the ECSEL Joint Undertaking and supervises the implementation of its activities;
- the Executive Director who is the chief executive responsible for the day-to-day management of the ECSEL Joint Undertaking in accordance with the decisions of the Governing Board;
- the Public Authorities Board, competent for matters related to calls for proposals and allocation of public funding;
- the Private Members Board, reponsible for drawing up the draft multiannual strategic research and innovation agenda and the draft research and innovation activities plan.
The Governing Board (GB) brings together the Private sector (representatives of the Private Members Board) and the Public sector (representatives of the ECSEL Participating States and the European Commission). It has overall responsibility for the strategic orientation and the operations of the ECSEL JU and supervises the implementation of its activities.
In accordance with its rules of procedure, the Governing Board is composed of one delegation for the Commission, one for each private member and one for each ECSEL Participation State. Each delegation is made of a lead delegate, who holds the voting rights, and of representatives.
The Governing Board elects a chairperson, and has three vice-chairs.
Governing Board chairperson and vice-chairs:
As of 15th February 2018, Dr Sabine Herlitschka took up office as the Chair of the Governing Board of ECSEL Joint Undertaking. She was re-elected to serve an additional year as Chair on 26th November 2019. Dr Herlitschka, presently Chief Executive Officer of Infineon Technologies Austria AG, and combines a broad spectrum of expertise in industry, university management and funding agencies. Before joining Infineon Technologies Austria, she was Director of European and International Programmes in the Austrian Research Promotion Agency. More Information.
- On 11th December 2020, Dr. Herlitschka's mandate is extended until end February 2022.
- On 26th November 2019, Dr. Herlitszchka is re-elected as Chair for an additional year, commencing February 2020.
- On November 25th 2019, Doris Vierbuach (AT) is elected Chair of the PAB and becomes Vice-chair of the GB
- Jean-Luc Di-Paola-Galloni becomes Chair of the PMB and Vice-chair for the GB.
- As of 15th February 2018, Dr. Sabine Herlitschka is the elected Chairperson
- On 14th November 2016 the rules of procedure were amended to include a third vice-chair; the chairperson of the Private Members’ Board (Laïla Gide)
- Since 4th June 2015, the chairperson is Andrea Cuomo. Vice-chairs: Ben Ruck (Dutch delegation) and Khalil Rouhana (Commission delegation)
- From 28 March 2015 to 3rd June 2015: Ben Ruck (ad interim). Vice-chair: Khalil Rouhana (Commission delegation)
- From 3rd July 2014 to 27 March 2015: Heinrich Daembkes. Vice-chairs: Ben Ruck (Dutch delegation) and Khalil Rouhana (Commission delegation)
Public Authorities Board
The Public Authorities Board (PAB) is composed of representatives of the public authorities of the ECSEL Participating States in the Joint Undertaking and of the European Commission.
Its tasks include approving the rules of procedure for calls for proposals, establishing funding budgets and approving the launch of calls for proposals, the subsequent evaluation, ranking, selection and allocation of public funding to the successful proposals and their monitoring during execution. This it does while ensuring that the principles of fairness and transparency are properly applied in the allocation of public funding.
Private Members Board
The Private Members Board (PMB) is composed of representatives of the private members of the ECSEL JU (Industry Associations), each one appointing a lead delegate.
The PMB draws up and regularly updates the Multi-Annual Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (MASRIA) and the annual Research and Innovation Activities Plan (RIAP) from which the Executive Director may make the MASP and Work Plan for the ECSEL JU Calls.
The PMB members represent the community of R,D&I actors in the ECSEL JU programme, and organise supporting activities and events including an annual Stakeholder Forum.
The Executive Director (ED) is the chief executive responsible for the day-to-day management of the ECSEL JU, in accordance with the decisions of the Governing Board. The ED is the legal representative of the ECSEL JU and is accountable to the Governing Board.
The present Executive Director is Bert De Colvenaer.